ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT:
Medical Electronics is an emerging branch of engineering, established in the year 2017 with intake of 60 students under the affiliation of Anna University. Our department aim is to provide quality education in the field of Medical Electronics. The department has qualified and technically competent faculties with a good academic, industrial and research background. The Department is fully equipped with state-of-the-art laboratories such as Instrumentation, DSP, Digital Image Processing and Medical Instrumentation.As a part of curriculum, industrial visits are arranged for B.E. students and we provide hands on training onvarious types of medical equipment’s from Saveetha Medical College and Hospital. Students can also actively participate in the field of research by utilising facilities in MEMS Design and Research Centre which is present in our college.
ABOUT THE COURSE:
Medical electronics course gives a way over engineering with medical science by laying strong knowledge in electronics. It focuses on physiological functions of human body and integrates it with engineering principle to apply different techniques, skills, tools to solve clinical and healthcare problems for the patient needs like prostheses, medical information systems, artificial organs, instrumentation, care delivery systems, and health management.
At the end of the course, students will have the ability to identify and design devices or system for medical purpose and understand the ethical and professional responsibility for engineering practice.
• Medical Science, Medical Physiology, Medical Imaging
• Biomedical Instrumentation.
• Digital Medical Signal Processing, LASER and Fibre Optics
• Digital Image Processing, Pattern Recognition, Speech Processing
• Artificial Organs, Bio MEMS
• Rehabilitation Engineering
• Electronic Circuit Design, Logic Design, Communication systems
• Programming Skills in C++ and Data Structure, Microcontrollers, VHDL
• Software tools like MATLAB, LABVIEW
• Exclusive Hospital Training From Saveetha Medical College & Hospital
• MEMS Design and Research Centre
• Diagnostic and Therapeutic Equipment Lab
• Physiology Lab
• Medical Expert System Lab
• Bio Medical Instrumentation Lab
• Instrumentation Lab
• Medical Software Lab
EMERGING SCOPE IN MEDICAL ELECTRONICS ENGINEERING:
• A Career in Medical electronics is a developing field that makes engineers to solve healthcare related problems and finding cure for diseases by innovating sophisticated equipment’s.
• Fast growth in medical technology will require a huge number of engineers to develop and manufacture diagnostic devices, drugs and other therapies.
• In future, there will be a huge demand in private and government job opportunities to recruit medical electronic engineers to work in the area of manufacturing, research, production and quality assurance control.
• Apollo Hospitals
• Wipro GE Biomedical
• Larsen & Toubro Ltd.
• Clinical Engineer
• Bioinstrumentation Engineer
• Biomaterial Engineer
DEPARTMENT OF MEDICAL ELECTRONICS:
“To develop an excellent progressive quality education, translational research through inventive collaborations as par industry to improve healthcare and well-being of humankind serving society”
• To educate students with fundamental knowledge, interdisciplinary problem solving skills and confidence required to excel in medical electronics through progressive learning
• To achieve new developments for healthcare solutions and support medical professionals in their efforts for regaining a healthy being to humankind through industrial collaboration and research with standard ethics
PROGRAMME EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES (PEOs):
1. To provide the students a strong basic in electronics, mathematics and life science and make them prepared to integrate these concepts for developing new medical devices.
2. To instill interpersonal skill for creating a conducive environment to make technological advancement that addresses societal needs.
3. To encourage the interest on research, leadership and ethics, and to disseminate the acquired knowledge to upcoming engineers
PROGRAM OUTCOMES (POs):
Engineering Graduates will be able to:
1. Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
2. Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
3. Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
4. Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
5. Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modelling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
6. The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
7. Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
9. Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
10. Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
11. Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one‘s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
12. Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES (PSOs):
1. To design and develop diagnostic and therapeutic devices that reduces physician burnout and enhances the quality of life for the end user by applying fundamentals of Life sciences and Engineering.
2. To apply software skills in developing algorithms for solving healthcare related problems in various fields of Medical sector.
3. To develop indigenous medical devices by combining innovative ideas of their core field and emerging information and communication technologies (ICT).